Moon Puerto Rico: Best Beaches, Outdoor Adventures, Local Favorites (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
- Flexible itineraries to visit the best of Puerto Rico in a week or less, including San Juan, the mountains, neighboring islands, and more
- Strategic advice for beach-lovers, adventure travelers, honeymooners, and more, with the best beaches for surfing, swimming, snorkeling, and diving
- The best spots for eco-friendly outdoor adventures like hiking, kayaking, and spelunking. Zipline over the lush jungle, hike through cloud forests, explore vast underground caves, learn how to surf, or spot iguanas on the wild island of Mona
- Unique and authentic experiences: Visit a historic coffee hacienda, shop for hand-rolled cigars along San Juan's cobblestone streets, and savor a traditional lunch of mofongo. Visit ancient ceremonial bateyes and learn about Puerto Rico's indigenous Taíno communities. Enjoy an al fresco dinner in the warm tropical breeze and dance to bomba as the sun sets over the ocean
- Insider insight from Suzanne Van Atten on how to experience the island like a local, respectfully engage with the culture, and support local businesses
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Up-to-date information on Puerto Rico's landscape, history, customs, and environmental changes
- Handy tools including a Spanish phrasebook, driving directions, and travel tips for disability access, women travelers, traveling with children, travelers of color, and LGBTQ travelers
Exploring the Caribbean? Check out Moon Dominican Republic, Moon Bahamas, or Moon Jamaica.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
Amidst all these travels, she always returns to Puerto Rico, a place she fell in love with when she lived there as a teenager. The country's rich culture, postcard-perfect beaches, lush tropical jungle, cobblestone streets, pastel colors, lively music, and the joie de vivre of its people colluded to seduce her. No matter how many times she returns, she always discovers something new and delightful.
Suzanne is a creative writing instructor, an editor for the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and a Pushcart Prize-nominated essayist who's been published in the Gettysburg Review, The Chattahoochee Review, and Full Grown People.
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times