Full Time Bookseller/Inventory Assistant
The Bookseller/Inventory Assistant should be highly detail-oriented and be able to regularly and effectively communicate with team members. Duties are a mix of Bookselling and Inventory responsibilities as outlined below. Position would meet regularly with the inventory and receiving managers to assess priority needs for the department. The role will include a mix of bookselling shifts on the floor and office duties for the inventory team. Previous Bookselling experience preferred. This is a full-time position. Must be able to work 40 hours a week and flexible availability is necessary. Office hours will take place during the week, but bookselling could be a mix of weekdays and weekends either 9:30am-3pm or 3pm-8:30pm.
Bookseller Responsibilities & Duties:
Effective Communication with staff and customers including:
- Shift check-in with floor manager at the beginning of each shift and review to-do list and the priorities for the day.
- Continual communication with other booksellers during shifts to ensure customer needs are being fulfilled.
- Greeting customers when they enter the store, asking customers if they need assistance when browsing, providing directions to sections, and giving recommendations.
- Keeping a positive and friendly attitude with both staff and customers.
Provide excellent customer service for Literati Bookstore through:
- Engagement with customers about books, literature, and our related product lines.
- Provide support in locating titles in store or placing special orders.
- Ringing customers up at the registers, encouraging sign-up for our frequent buyer program and e-newsletter, and informing them of our events during check-out.
- Being aware and available to help customers throughout shifts regardless of other tasks.
Store Organization and Merchandising
- Shelving, re-stocking and merchandising inventory as outlined in our shelving standards and guidelines during your shift.
- Alphabetize and flush sections per to-do list schedule.
- Keep tables, displays, fixtures well stocked and organized.
- General housekeeping and cleaning duties including, but not limited to, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, and sanitizing.
Book and Industry Knowledge
- Read at least one book every month and provide a written shelf-talker for the store as well as a digital online review for our website. Submission for new books to IndieNext is highly encouraged. If a bookseller submits a written IndieNext submission for the appropriate month they receive a $50 Literati gift card.
- Keep abreast of book publishing and independent bookselling trends. An email newsletter subscription to ShelfAwareness is highly encouraged.
- Familiarize yourself with Edelweiss, our digital ordering platform.
Inventory Responsibilities & Duties:
Meet and communicate with inventory managers to assess items of importance for the department and delegation of duties including:
- Unboxing publisher shipments.
- Assessing books for damages.
- Data entry for each day's shipment.
- Bookseller Highlight Display:
- Solicit, order, receive, and display new picks from one staff member each month.
- Collect and laminate new shelf talkers and update signage.
- Bestseller report
- Generate appropriate sales reports to submit to NYTimes and ABA.
- Update webpage and store display each week.
- Inventory problem solving and follow-up
- This candidate will also be responsible for helping the team solve any inventory discrepancies or issues with special orders and stock reports
To apply, send cover letter and resume to email@example.com.