We are looking for literature lovers to become part of the bookselling team at Literati. Must be an avid reader with the ability to share recommendations verbally and via the written word. Should be versed in current literature and book trends, preferably with experience in bookselling or publishing, and commitment to a long-term career in bookselling. Candidates should be detail-oriented, have efficient time management skills, have an eye toward cleanliness and organization, and be eager to learn and execute the ins-and-outs of the store processes. Being able to interact with kindness and positivity with customers and other team members is essential, including the ability to coolly handle customer requests and complaints, talk to a range of readers, and uphold a positive work environment with fellow team members. Experience in a customer facing work environment is preferred, including familiarity with working a cash register . Booksellers would be able to lift and carry books, including the ability to stand/walk/climb stairs for a 5-6 hour shift. Schedule flexibility preferred. Current coverage needed for weekdays between 9am-4pm and Sundays. Some nights and weekend availability required. Must be available to work holidays, including up to December 23rd and after December 26th. Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours a week. Applicants not available to work these schedule requirements (nights/weekends in December) will not be considered.
Please send us a resume and a cover letter to info at literatibookstore.com explaining why you think you would be a good fit for the position. Also include your available days and hours.
Reports to Floor Manager/Lead Bookseller
Responsibilities & Duties:
Effective Communication with staff and customers including:
- Shift check-in with floor manager at the beginning of each shift and review to-do list and the priorities for the day.
- Continual communication with other booksellers during shifts to ensure customer needs are being fulfilled.
- Greeting customers when they enter the store, asking customers if they need assistance when browsing, providing directions to sections, and giving recommendations.
- Keeping a positive and friendly attitude with both staff and customers.
Provide excellent customer service for Literati Bookstore through:
- Engagement with customers about books, literature, and our related product lines.
- Provide support in locating titles in store or placing special orders.
- Ringing customers up at the registers, encouraging sign-up for our frequent buyer program and e-newsletter, and informing them of our events during check-out.
- Being aware and available to help customers throughout shifts regardless of other tasks.
Store Organization and Merchandising
- Shelving, re-stocking and merchandising inventory as outlined in our shelving standards and guidelines during your shift.
- Alphabetize and flush sections per to-do list schedule.
- Keep tables, displays, fixtures well stocked and organized.
- General housekeeping and cleaning duties including, but not limited to, dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, and sanitizing.
Book and Industry Knowledge
- Read at least one book every month and provide a written shelf-talker for the store as well as a digital online review for our website. Submission for new books to IndieNext is highly encouraged. If a bookseller submits a written IndieNext submission for the appropriate month they receive a $50 Literati gift card.
- Keep abreast of book publishing and independent bookselling trends. An email newsletter subscription to ShelfAwareness is highly encouraged.
- Familiarize yourself with Edelweiss, our digital ordering platform.
go!pass (The Ride bus pass) provided